Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

"Minor Miracle" by Marilyn Nelson

Minor Miracle was my favorite piece this week because of the surprise at the end. I like when the reader thinks a story is going one direction and it ends up going in the complete opposite direction. I think I connected to this piece because of the strong imagery. Nelson really knows how to paint a clear picture. I can imagine the Marine Corps guy perfectly; the “footlockerful of martial arts techniques” gives the reader a feeling of danger. The best part of this piece is the moment of tension that comes when the narrator and her friend don’t know how the guy is going to react and then he reacts the completely different way from how they were thinking. My favorite part about the last stanza is how the guy’s actions exemplify his regretfulness. He shoves his hands into his pockets and pushes the dirt around with his foot. It reminds me of a child who’s been forced to apologize. The strong imagery creates a story that shows you that people can still be surprising. They know how to admit when they’re wrong. This piece turns a situation that could have been very bad into a situation that gives the reader something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment