Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

"A&P"- John Updike

I liked “A&P” for John Updike’s use of description. This story is incredibly realistic. I could picture it perfectly. I’m not sure what to make of this story. On the one hand, I dislike Queenie because she’s the stereotypical popular girl, but on there other hand, I feel bad for her because she’s being objectified. I think in the end, though, I actually feel bad for Sammy because he quits because of Queenie. I think she was the catalyst for him quitting, but I feel like she was playing him. I really don’t know how to interpret this story. The way Updike uses description creates a complete picture. He uses unique phrasing that made me burrow further into the story. For example, on pg. 1495, when Sammy describes sliding down her voice into her living room. It’s such an unusual way to describe a voice, but it works so well. I think that’s why Updike’s writing is so great; he was able to use description in a way that’s so unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment