Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Several Blessings of Wang Ta-nien - frayed sleeves and peeking duck

I really enjoyed this piece. It encompassed a few cultural aspects which were different than typical american culture which I enjoyed. I liked the reference to the Sage's frayed sleeves. It was such a minor detail but it meant a lot. Now, clothing is so affordable that one can replace old clothes at a resonable cost. But when others notice that a sleeve is frayed, a small detail and use it to remind you of your financial state, is not something common in America. That reference really stood out to me. I also thought that the significance of inviting one for dinner (for peeking duck)was a sign of wealth and prosperity and that was new and interesting, definitely something I had never considered before.

No comments:

Post a Comment