Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

"Cherrylog Road" by James Dickey

The first thing I liked about this poem was the structure of it. It looked like a tower of bricks stacked across the pages. I read them much too quickly though, assuming a straightforward structure would indicate straightforward narrative. Instead I found a very mobile piece that took me for a ride off Highway 106 and into an unfamiliar lot. I wasn't able to keep up with the ride at first, but when I took my foot off the throttle I was able to appreciate the piece much more. Dickey is very successful in showing the reader the emotions of the narrator by way of his actions and language.

What I found most interesting about this piece was the live Dickey imbued the junkyard with. In fact, he even uses it to impart the movement of the live characters, describing how the inhabitants of the yard move to parallel the intimacies of the narrator and Doris Holbrook.

No comments:

Post a Comment