Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

"Lethal" by Oates



In the beginning of the prose, the first person voice comes off as trying to convey affection for a lover. Oates masterfully creates the impression of tenderness and intimacy through his choice of words “caress, comfort, embrace, kiss.” The longer sentences also helps to slow down the piece and give it a sense of calm. For me, the first abrupt and powerful pause was when he goes “I just want to hold you tight!- like this.” I immediately get a strong sense of desire and dominance. The use of punctuations to dramatize and then pause helps to vividly capture the act as it is happening. I can hear the words and see the actions unfold.
Following this, the tone changes from calm to authoritative. The feel of dominance continues. I especially feel it when he goes “These are strong arms, aren’t they.” There is no question mark. It is a statement. Hereafter, he almost sounds psychotic to me. By this point, I am sure he is not a lover but a rapist, because he threatens to hurt the person if he or she keeps straining. The choice of word also changes drastically to “hurt, poke,” and the voice is threatening.  The sentences also get shorter and that conveys a sense of urgency and menace.
Towards the end I could also see struggle between desire and conscience. When his desire takes over, to justify his act he starts to blame her.

No comments:

Post a Comment