Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

lynn Emanuel "Frying Trout While Drunk"


The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree resonates loudly to me in the piece. We are tormented our whole lives by the actions of our parents. The happy, the sad, the bitter, the fun, the memories of them always stay with us. I really enjoyed the colorful writing it felt as though we were reliving the memories of a distraught youth.

The tenderness and painful oblivion he writes in regard to her mother echoes. We are so enamored through youth of our parents, but hindsight of our youth can sometimes leave us harboring different emotions towards those who raised us.  

I sometimes find myself looking at my own actions thinking, “wow, I am just like my mother…” we are raised in the image of our parents, they are everything they never wanted to be and the cyclical pattern continues as offspring repopulate the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment