Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Still Life

While this piece is about the internal struggle of the character Mark, it made me consider and grapple with some of the questions he was facing. What does it mean to be a good or bad person? Once someone is "good" or "bad," do they stay under that category permanently? How much of our actions can we attribute to the environment around us? Mark is convinced that he is and forever will be a bad person, yet he desperately wants to be redeemed.
Personally I struggle with answering these questions as well, although with less severe experiences than Mark. I was raised with Roman Catholicism, where any sin, no matter how great, is forgivable under God if a person is truly sorry for what they have done. Despite this, there are crimes that I don't think I could ever forgive. It's not really possible to find an absolute that distinguishes "good" from "bad" in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment